CATESOL Education Foundation Research Award
CATESOL Education Foundation Presents
The 2023 College/University Level
English Language Research Award
This award is intended to encourage a wider range of scholarly work that may not often be represented in traditional scholarly venues. Through this award, CATESOL Education Foundation hopes to share a scholarship that highlights exceptional work being done in the field of ESL/TESL focusing on classroom-based research; curricular projects; well-argued bibliographic research regarding theory, research, pedagogy, and/or educational policy; and other types of research projects with clear pedagogical implications.
The award will be granted for one of the following scenarios:
- a piece written by one-two ESL / TESL instructor(s),
- a piece written by one-two current or former graduate or undergraduate student(s),
- or a piece written by one ESL / TESL instructor and one current or former graduate or undergraduate student.
*Students who have graduated in Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 are eligible.
The award winner/s will be publicly awarded the $500 award from the CATESOL Education Foundation at the 2023 Annual CATESOL Conference in the fall. Attendance at the conference is not required for acceptance of the award. Also, please note that co‐authors will share the $500 award
from the CATESOL Education Foundation.
The winners’ projects will be submitted to the CATESOL Journal for review, editing, and publication as potential CATESOL articles.
- The contest is open only to members of CATESOL who are current (or recently graduated) students and instructors from colleges or universities in California.
- The articles can be single‐ or co‐authored (two authors maximum).
- The articles should be no more than 25 pages long including references and appendices, following the guidelines below.
- The articles must be unpublished and not submitted for publication elsewhere.
- Preference given to work relevant to students or teachers in California.
- Board members and members of the Awards Committee are not eligible to apply.
- Submission deadline: The article must be received on or before July 1st, 2023.
Email the following information to the CATESOL College/University Award Coordinators (see below):
1) Email address
2) Phone number
3) Institutional affiliation
- If you are a student, include advisor or instructor contact information
4) Title of research project article
5) Fifty-word biography
6) Paper attached as a pdf with the following format: - Style & bibliographic references conforming to APA conventions
- No reference to the author in the manuscript - Page one with title & 150-word abstract - All figures, charts, tables, appendices, & illustrations included in the document.
Questions? Email the College/University Level Award Coordinators, John Gides at firstname.lastname@example.org and Leslie Sherwood at email@example.com